Thursday, May 28, 2009

Slam--Lexile 750


By Walter Dean Myers
The main character in this story is Slam. Slam is the type of person who can tell when something is going to go wrong and if something bad is going to happen. It’s like he has a mind of a psychic. Slam loves to play basketball with all of his friends and family. He also plays basketball for a varsity team that he had signed up for a couple months back.
Slam grows up in a small town called Nashville. He and his family get along pretty well but there are some little problems. He has to deal with the fact that his grandma is in the hospital dying of cancer that she had back in high school. Slam cannot keep his mind off of the streets. Slam gets a lot of respect from the hood but the fighting and violence is stopping him from his basketball career.
I like this book because it has a lot to do with basketball and basketball is one of my favorite sports to play. I also like this story because some of these settings have to do with my life. I would recommend that people that are my age read this story especially if you are in love with basketball like I am.
Reviewed by Billy

No comments:

Post a Comment